Late last year I received some disappointing news that my work was not accepted for a publication entitled “Strokes of Genius 6”. It is a competitive publication and many artist across the world submit applications for their work’s inclusion. I’m not sure of the percentage of applicants accepted but from prior publications I can see that the caliber is high and certainly something to continue aiming for.
However, with that disappointing news came some great news! I received an email from one of the publication’s managing editors stating that they would love to include my portrait piece entitled “Indomitable Will” in another publication entitled “Art Journey – Portraits & Figures“.
© 2012 – 2014 Vanessa Turner
charcoal on watercolour paper
20 x 16 inches
The hardbound book Art Journey Portraits & Figures shall be available in stores during the middle of next month (November 2014) and will solely feature the best of portrait paintings being done by today’s contemporary artists across the world. The book will focus specifically on tonal values (lights and darks) aka chiaroscuro in the art of portraiture. Each artist receives a 2+ page spread in the book along with information on their medium and artist philosophy.
I’m beyond excited about this wonderful opportunity to further show case my work and am anxious to see my copy when it finally arrives. I look forward to sharing it with you in due course. It’s true what they say! When one door closes another opens!
Art Journey Portraits and Figures
The Best of Contemporary Drawing in Graphite, Pastel and Colored Pencil
(Hardbound Book – 224 pages)
Edited by Rachel Rubin Wolf
In Art Journey Portraits and Figures you will find:
- 100 inspiring portrait and figure drawings by contemporary artists in charcoal, pencil, pastel, colored pencil, pen + ink and more
- Commentary from each artist on why the subject is special
- The techniques and processes each artist used to achieve his or her style
- Why each piece is a significant work and what sets it apart from other paintings he or she has created
- What inspires each artist to create, or how he or she expresses that creative spark